Wednesday, August 01, 2007

July 31, 2007
Kyle Here:
Relaxed today, spent some time sending emails and a long shower.
We then went to the market close to the hotel. I bought a few trinkets, but for the most part it was the same thing over and over in every shop. Maybe saw something I would like, might go back tomorrow. Jarae and I then went on a Sunset river cruise which was cool.
Saw some crocs and hippos, and several birds on the river. Floated for two hours, and even got to see the other side of the Zambezi, which is the country of Zimbabwe….at least I got to see it, even if I won’t be able to step foot on it.
We met a nice older couple and their daughter from South Africa. They are driving in a ‘caravan’ across most of Africa. They were very talkative and also very interested in learning about some things about the US. The 70 year old woman keep hugging me and kissing my neck, Seems all of the free all you can drink booze made her a little frisky. She also grabbed my butt, finally some action while on vacation.
They did tell us about a local market, which should be very big, that Jarae and I are going to visit tomorrow, to get some more traditional goods.
If I had known I would have brought many of my old tshirts, cheap sunglasses and some ball point pens…seems I could buy the whole market with those things.


Things I learned today:
Every vendor has a grandfather who made all the items they are selling.
I am always the first customer of the day.
Everyone around the world knows a song from “Oklahoma” the musical, and is more than happy to sing it.
Zimbabwe looks just like Zambia, except for the evil dictator.
I could be King of my own tribe, if I just had a crate full of old Nike t-shirts.
Irish girls think you look ‘smart’ if you are writing emails on a laptop at the pool.
Africans in the days of old used wooden ‘pillow’ pedestals similar to the Japanese in days of old.
No one knows how to say my name, so I am going to go by the name ‘Omfungobi’ or ‘Dennis’…then everyone would be able to say my name when I tell them what it is.
No matter what country people are from, not one of them likes attorneys.


August 1, 2007
Kyle Here:
We went to the Marimba market today, which is the typical Zambian market in Livingston. This is where everyone in town shops. The market was huge, and we only spent an hour walking in a very small portion of it. It was broken up into sections, such as blankets, shoes, food, and tobacco. I took some great pictures there. Jarae was appalled by the condition of the market, but it was very clean compared to some I have been to in Mexico. There was no open sewage and the flys were not too bad actually.
One vender asked if Jarae is my ‘madam’….I thought he said mother first. I told him I was looking for a Zambian girlfriend.
The taxi driver, Eugine, (that is how he spells it) also took us to another market where we bought some copper jewelry, as we are close to the copper mines, and to a clothing shop. Jarae and I bought some typical African clothing as gifts. The people in all of these places were very excited to see tourists, as I think very few ever visit the town of Livingston. We also drove by the High Court, and the Police station. The police station had many windows broken out, and it looks as if they just decided to leave them that way.
The taxi driver told us there was a recent campaign to clean up the city, and he has noticed a considerable difference in the amount of trash around. It looks pretty clean around here, other than the fine layer of dust over everything.
We still have not seen any giraffe on the hotel grounds, but maybe before we leave.
We walked to view the Falls today as well. It was breathtaking. I was told it is only running at half rate, since it is the dry season. I can imagine that it would be covered by mist if it was at full capacity. The height of the falls is incredible, and I am also struck by the fact that there is very few barriers or safety precautions….I like it, since it is readily apparent that the Falls is huge and falling would be deadly. There is also no rangers or anyone making sure you don’t get too close. Once again, getting close would be deadly so the Africans believe you know this or learn very quickly.
We leave tomorrow for Cape Town, South Africa. I am looking forward to seeing Table Mountain and checking out all the things other travelers have told us about.

Things I learned today:
People want money to take their picture.
Most Africans want to come to the US.
Everyone knows how to convert Kwacha (Zambian money) to US dollars or Euros, or they all have cell phones and can check the internet for the exchange rate.
The Zambezi Sun hotel is outstanding.
Spanish Machiattos are excellent.
I find myself speaking broken English, or asking very simple questions…despite most Africans seeming to have a firm grasp of the English language.
All the clothing in the market smells like chemicals.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Omfungobi, I like it!! :-)