Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Kyle Here:
I am 'all safaried out' today...wearing all my outdoor gear, it seems that is all the rage here at the 5 star hotel. Most of the others look like they are hiking in the bush for weeks, but are only walking around the swimming pool on their way to the lunch buffett. This place is outstanding. The food is great, and you know how I love a buffett. I may have to brave the wilds in order to get a soft drink at the bar.
Slept like a rock, I think the super dark room had something to do with it, and getting up at 4:30 am yesterday certainly helped.
Everyone seems to be hurrying around the hotel today, I don't know about them, but I am on vacation. I took about 2 hours for breakfast this morning, drinking coffee, reading and talking with Jarae.
The temperature here is mild, probably 24 degrees Celsius, like I know that that means....probably about 70 or 75. Winter in Africa is great. It is so dusty here though, I could hardly breath last night before bed.
I have run into some other visitors who saw lions on their safaris, so I may have to go on a ride in the National Park here, to give myself another opportunity for a lion sighting.
Did see some babboons run by, as I am writing this blog....Seems the 'monkeys will destroy your items' if they smell food, or want to eat some sugar from the coffee service.
Sitting around has allowed me time to reflect on how important some people in my life are, and how much time I spend trying to distract myself, rather than living. Not sure if that will change when I return but possibly.

Things I have learned:
Africans love American songs, but only instrumentally.
Zambian women are beautiful, all of them.
I may not make it to Zimbabwe.
People assume you are working, or can't relax if you are on the laptop on vacation.
Most of the Zambian men have English names, appears the English have had a profound effect on everything in the area.
I need pineapple in my life everyday.

No comments: