Monday, July 23, 2007

Kyle Here:
Was unable to write yesterday as Jarae went to bed early, and packed up the computer.
So, yesterday was a typical day in Amsterdam possibly. We slept late, then I went for coffee and rolls, but there was no rolls, just coffee and a huge language barrier. Jarae and I decided to take a boat ride in the canals, to visit some museums. We went to the Rembrandt house, which inspired me to be a better painter when I have time to paint again. It was very exciting to me to be in the actual space that he lived in many years ago. His collection of etchings was truly amazing.
We then rode to boat to the Anne Frank house, which had a huge line, so we decided not to go.
We ate a typical danish meal, or at least Jarae did, which included raw beef sausage. I am sure it was tasty. I had asparagus soup and grilled cheese, and of course a third coffee of the day. I love espresso.
I then walked around the Jordan neighborhood, while Jarae went to the Tulip Museum. The neighborhood reminded me of some places in NYC. Crazy record shops, restaurants, galleries and funky shops.
I then of course did my nightly meeting, and walk around the city while GM Jarae went back to the hotel to rest since we had to get up early for our long flight.
I went to the Hanky Panky tattoo shop, and talked to the guys. Then walked around to the graffiti/art/tshirt shop of my new friend Abner and hung out with him and some of his friends.
Also went on a culinary tour in the evening: ate some fries, belguim waffles and the best strawberries ever.
I wish I could have stayed longer in Amsterdam, but know that I will be back sometime in the future.

Now about today, got up way early which turned out good since the airport took forever. There really was not sort of structure at all. I saw just how different European 'crowd' culture is than the US. I never realized how much personal space I need to feel like I don't want to punch a Dutch boy in the face.
The flight was the longest one I have ever taken-- Ten and a half hours but we are finally in Jo'burg South Africa. It is night so can't tell much, and tomorrow we get back on a plan for a bit to go to the safari.
Things I learned today and yesterday:
Dutch people do not know how to give proper directions.
Dutch people think the Southern US is 'backwards' and 'racist'.
People really do wear wooden shoes, or at least the construction workers do.
Dutch customer service is more service less customer.
Dutch parents do not discipline their kids, at all.
Contrary to my opinion, you cannot cut into any line, even though it appears ok for everyone else.
African people speak very, very softly. But you can be sure that their last question is for a tip of some sort.
Not all Amsterdam asian 'women' are men.
Airport security outside the US is practically non existent.
Always order a special vegetarian meal on a flight, to get excellent food, and before everyone else as well.
I got to read a book for pleasure on the flight today for the first time in three years, it was very nice. I look forward to doing it again while I am here.
That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle, it's nice reading for pleasure, isn't it? I brought lots of books with me on my long flight, too, but I watched movies instead...14 hours worth of movie watching is like 14 hours in heaven!! Anyways, the blogs are great, the pictures are SWEET!! Have fun, my super cool friend, and thanks for the link!!

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying reading your blogs on a daily basis. I am slightly more than a little envious of you for the most part. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I found a place in OKC on the corner of Guernsey and 23rd that I can work and live out of. It is a rental, but I am cool with that for now. See you later, and have a blast in South Africa! Brandy

Anonymous said...

Keep the posts coming! It's nice to travel vicariously through you guys.

-Rocky