Saturday, July 21, 2007

Well by the end of this trip I can say I have walked all over Amsterdam and then some. Man, do my legs feel it. I did finally get Kyle on public transportation today. He prefers to walk, but where we wanted to go was too far to walk, and we had some time constraints. So I am going to beat him to the punch on this one. We did start off a little rough on the tram. We either got on the wrong one or missed the one we were supposed to be on . So here I thought I was going to be saving time, but we wasted about an hour trying to figure things out. However, once get on the right one, and he saw how far it was, he did eventually admit it was too far to walk. I'm sure he will not admit to this. :)
Since the last time we blogged we have visited the following places:
· Rembrandtplein This is where the Night Watch statues are located, and Rembrandt’s house is located. We have not made it there yet.
· The Red Light District…and no I did nothing there other than walk up the street. If I was twenty-something I perhaps might have thought it was cool, but we all know I am well past that, so it was just kind of annoying. There were so many people there. Mostly drunk, annoying guys.
· The Dutch Resistance Museum - http://www.dutchresistancemuseum.nl/museum/en/museum
It explains what happened to Holland during WW II and how Germany was able to occupy the country. The Germans were pretending to be nice at the beginning, and then slowly gathered the info they needed on the Jews living in the country, and then slowly started taking their rights away, and eventually deporting them.
· The Heritage Museum –
http://www.hermitage.nl/en/index.htm
This is the first satellite museum of the original Hermitage in St. Petersburg Russia http://www.hermitage.nl/en/content.htm. I have been to this one as well, and hands down it is the most amazing art museum I have ever been to. The one in Amsterdam, is much, much smaller. However, The Hermitage has such an extensive collection that they are unable to display it all, and have it stored away. Now they are able to use the Netherlands site to display these items.
· Waterlooplein http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterlooplein
There is a really big flea market here. Though, I was not very impressed. It was all sort of the same stuff, and nothing really good.
· Dam Square http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/
This is the older section of the city. We saw the Palace, National Monument, and then the Old Church.

We also did see our first Windmill (pics on the site), and Amstel River. I have not had an Amstel beer yet, but I did have a Heineken last nite. I don’t normally drink this so not sure if it tasted any better or not, but it was good. We then and went and had dinner at a Peruvian restaurant tonight which was right on the canal. Today was just a beautiful day. The weather is just like Seattle. It doesn’t get hot here at all. It rained pretty good yesterday. Hopefully we will have one more day of nice weather.

Sunday we hope to go to the house that Anne Frank hid out in for 2 years, Rembrandt’s House, and do a canal cruise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!

Unknown said...

It is great keeeping up with you 2 & I am getting culture too!! :-)
Love,
Darling Mother Dear